Visit Barcelona with kids? - The 10 Best Activities
What to do in Barcelona with children? There is plenty to do in Barcelona to keep the kids entertained. Here is a list of the top 10 best activities, family tours, and fun things to do in Barcelona with kids:
A visit to FC Barcelona's stadium is a dream come true for any young football fan. If you're not looking to attend a match, you can still do the Camp Nou Experience stadium tour and see all the most important parts of the stadium.
The science museum of Barcelona. This interactive museum offers playful ways for children to learn about different sciences. The museum even has a mangrove forest that you can walk through. It's a museum where kids can really be active.
One of the main sights in Barcelona is Park Guell. Thanks to Gaudi's imagination, this park will be appealing to children as well. But even more interesting for the kids: Near the entrance of the park is the Gaudi Experience. A 4D film offers a spectacular explanation of Gaudi's life work. A guaranteed hit for a visit with children!
The harbour of Barcelona is home to the marine aquarium, "l'Aquarium". It's one of the largest aquariums in Europe where you and your child or children can marvel at the variety of ocean life on display.
5. Cable cars
Barcelona has two cable lines. The first cable car is the Transbordador aeri del port, or the cable from the harbour to halfway up the Montjuic mountain. The other cable car is the Telefèric de Montjuïc, or the cable car to the castle at the top of the Montjuic.
A visit to Tibidabo mountain is a good idea for two reasons. First there's the marvellous view you see when the funicular railway has taken you to the top. The top of the mountain also has an amusement park "Parque de Atracciones del Tibidabo"
The magical fountain is located on Montjuic hill at the base of the Palau Nacional. A show with spouting fountains, music, and light make for an impressive display.
The park is situated at the outer edges of Barcelona. For some the Laberint d'Horta park will be an oasis of tranquillity. Children will enjoy the challenge of the cypress maze. .
10. Chocolate museum
The chocolate museum teaches children about the history of chocolate. They can look at unique chocolate artworks and do some tasting as well, of course. A fun activity for the whole family.
What to do in Barcelona with kids?
More activities for kids in Barcelona
In addition to these Top 10 Barcelona activities with kids, there is plenty more to do if you're travelling with kids. Some more examples of fun activities for kids and families are:
- If your kids want a fun time playing and swimming, consider a visit to the beach of Barcelona.
- Are your children a little older? Why not rent bicycles and cycle along the beach or join one of the organised cycling tours.
- We Pudding: a very kid-friendly café with many sweets, a large play area, and more. This playground paradise is just one block away from the centrally located Plaça de Catalunya.
- Museu Blau: science museum with many fossils, taxidermy animals, and minerals. An interesting museum for slightly older young people interested in how life evolved on earth.
- A boat trip through the harbour or along the Barcelona coast. Or rent a boat on Parc de la Ciutadella.
- Into magic tricks? Visit the El Rey del Magica shop and attend a magic show or buy magic tricks, for instance. The magic store is near the metro stop Jaume I in Barcelona's Gothic Quarter.
- Visit Barcelona Bosc Urbà, an adventure park with over 50 rides including zip wires, ropes, and various courses for kids. It's located at Plaça del Fòrum.
- Visit the Port Aventura amusement park. This is the largest theme park in Spain and is an hour's drive from Barcelona in Salou-Villa Seca (near Tarragona). It is one of the ten most popular amusements park in all of Europe.
Child friendly hotels Barcelona
Looking for a good hotel in Barcelona that is also suitable for children? Take a look at the hotels below. These are hotels with good locations, family rooms and good facilities such as a swimming pool and most importantly, they have received good reviews from families with children. An important consideration when choosing a hotel is whether you want to be close to Barcelona's beach or closer to the tourist attractions.